Courtois, from under fire to LaLiga player of the month
The Belgian stopper has been named as 'player of the month' for January 2020 by LaLiga and has increased his save % from less than 40 to over 80%.
Thibaut Courtois has gone from being highly questioned to the January 2020 'Player of the Month' in LaLiga in the space of just four months. Since Willian José's second minute goal for Real Sociedad at the Bernabéu on November 23 (2019), Courtois has saved 25 of the 28 shots on target aimed at the Real Madrid goal during LaLiga games according to Opta data.
Courtois' performances have been instrumental in helping Zidane's men secure their three point advantage over Barça in what is appearing to be a two horse race for the LaLiga title. At one point of the campaign, Courtois' percentage rating in terms of saves dropped below 40% with his average in the six games leading up to the Mallorca away match a mean of 38.7% of shots on target saved. The Son Moix defeat for Courtois and the rest of his team-mates marked a turning point as the following five games saw Real Madrid keep clean sheets (Galatasaray home and away in the UCL), Leganés, Betis and Eibar.
The Belgian's stopper percentage stop rate after 27 games in all competitions is 76.32% with a save rate for the Belgian in his 20 league games of 78,43%. The 27-year-old has managed to oversee 14 clean sheets for Real Madrid in the 2019-20 campaign: 11 in LaLiga, 2 in the Champions League along with the Super Cup final match in Saudi Arabia.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week