Extraordinary scenes as Porto's Marega walks off pitch over racist chants
Porto forward Moussa Marega decided to walk off the pitch in protest while being subjected to racist abuse from the home crowd at Vitoria.
Sunday’s Portuguese Primeira Liga game between Vitoria SC and Porto was marred by racist scenes that led Moussa Marega to walk off the pitch at the Estádio D. Afonso Henriques.
Marega scored Porto’s second goal in the 60th minute against his former club to give the visitor’s a 2-1 lead and received a booking for his celebration.
Nine minutes later, the 28-year-old French forward decided to walk off the pitch in protest while being subjected to racist abuse from the home crowd, initially signalling to the Porto bench to replace him.
Marega could not be stopped by team mates
Several of his team mates and members of the opposition attempted to stop him leaving the field of play. Eventually Marega couldn’t be stopped and was seen shouting and gesturing to the crowd as he headed towards the tunnel.
Porto coach Sergio Conceicao, who also tried to convince Marega to stay on the pitch, had no choice but to bring on a substitute for the Frenchman. The game finished 2-1 to the visitors.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What will the new IRS income tax brackets be for 2021?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks IRS extends $500 stimulus check for kids deadline - when is the new date and how do you claim it?
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Who are the candidates for 2020 US Elections besides Trump and Biden?
- US ELECTIONS Will Amish people vote in the 2020 USA Elections?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live online updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and latest news
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online updates: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks, latest news