Erling Haaland makes Champions League history
Erling Haaland enjoyed a sensational Champions League bow for Borussia Dortmund, making history in the competition in the process.
Erling Haaland became the fastest player to score 10 goals in Champions League history as the Borussia Dortmund sensation shattered records on Tuesday.
Haaland – making his Champions League bow for Dortmund following a January switch from Salzburg – scored twice in the second half of the team's 2-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in the opening leg of the last-16 tie.
The striker took his tally to 10 goals in just seven Champions League appearances this season with a stunning eight-minute brace, reaching the mark four games quicker than any other player in the competition's history.
At 19 years and 212 days, Haaland is the second youngest player to reach 10 goals in the Champions League, behind PSG star Kylian Mbappé, who did so at the age of 18 years and 360 days.
10 – Erling Haaland has scored 10 Champions League goals in just seven appearances, reaching the tally four games quicker than any other player in the competition’s history. Ridiculous. pic.twitter.com/OPXGPjl7MG— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 18, 2020
Haaland, who turned down a January move to Premier League giants Manchester United, has scored 11 goals in his first seven games in all competitions for Dortmund – no other player from a Bundesliga side has ever achieved that feat.
The Norway international also became the first Dortmund player to score on his debut in the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal, as his remarkable season continued.
He scored a hat-trick on his Champions League debut for Salzburg against Genk on September 17, becoming the first teenager to score more than once on his maiden appearance in the competition since Wayne Rooney in 2004, but he was not finished there.
Further goals against Liverpool and Napoli took his tally to seven – a record haul for a teenager in a Champions League campaign – from just four games, swiftly surpassing the previous benchmark of six set by Raúl and Mbappé.
Haaland went on to become only the third player, after Alessandro Del Piero and Diego Costa, to score in his first five matches in the competition when he grabbed another goal against Genk on November 27.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times