"Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
Atlético president Enrique Cerezo said that manager Diego Simeone "would be here for a very long time" and had a light-hearted dig at Liverpool's famous stadium.
Atlético Madrid president Enrique Cerezo spoke about his side’s 1-0 Champions League victory over holders Liverpool on Tuesday night and expressed his satisfaction at the manner of Diego Simeone’s game plan and the result, but warned that the job was only halfway done.
“I always sleep well. There are days when you taste glory and others when you don’t. According to the media, a week ago we were dead and buried and now we are very much alive. They had gone 30 games unbeaten and people were saying they are the best team in the world. We are happy with the result but we still have another game to go. But we have rediscovered ourselves and that is the best news,” Cerezo said at a presentation for Atlético Femenino player Kenti Robles, who was being handed an award by news agency EFE as the best South American player of the year.
Cerezo: "Simeone will be with us for a very long time"
Warming to his theme, Cerezo continued: “He who strikes first strikes hardest. To see our fans so committed to the team was amazing. It was absolutely spectacular. Anfield is a great stadium but it’s old. It probably wouldn’t pass the UEFA inspection if it had to do it,” the Atlético president, whose pride and joy is the Metropolitano, added in jest.
Speaking about Simeone, who has this season come under some serious scrutiny over his methodology after a string of poor performances, Cerezo said: “We have an excellent coach who will be with us for a long time. And we also have an excellent team.”
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Super Bowl LV 2021: how many tickets are available for Buccaneers & Chiefs fans?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: what pandemic travel restrictions will Biden impose?
- US NEWS What has Biden said about the Pentagon banning transgender people in the military?
- NFL Tom Brady vs Patrick Mahomes: how many times have they faced each other?
- SUPER BOWL LV How many Super Bowls have the Buccaneers played and won?
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check live updates today: Biden executive order, when to expect and who will get it