"Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
Atlético president Enrique Cerezo said that manager Diego Simeone "would be here for a very long time" and had a light-hearted dig at Liverpool's famous stadium.
Atlético Madrid president Enrique Cerezo spoke about his side’s 1-0 Champions League victory over holders Liverpool on Tuesday night and expressed his satisfaction at the manner of Diego Simeone’s game plan and the result, but warned that the job was only halfway done.
“I always sleep well. There are days when you taste glory and others when you don’t. According to the media, a week ago we were dead and buried and now we are very much alive. They had gone 30 games unbeaten and people were saying they are the best team in the world. We are happy with the result but we still have another game to go. But we have rediscovered ourselves and that is the best news,” Cerezo said at a presentation for Atlético Femenino player Kenti Robles, who was being handed an award by news agency EFE as the best South American player of the year.
Cerezo: "Simeone will be with us for a very long time"
Warming to his theme, Cerezo continued: “He who strikes first strikes hardest. To see our fans so committed to the team was amazing. It was absolutely spectacular. Anfield is a great stadium but it’s old. It probably wouldn’t pass the UEFA inspection if it had to do it,” the Atlético president, whose pride and joy is the Metropolitano, added in jest.
Speaking about Simeone, who has this season come under some serious scrutiny over his methodology after a string of poor performances, Cerezo said: “We have an excellent coach who will be with us for a long time. And we also have an excellent team.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 26 July
- Child Tax Credit $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: what are the IRS warnings about payment scams?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: why does the Delta variant spread so fast?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many surfing world titles has Carissa Moore won?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TENNIS Osaka taking it "one notch at a time" after beating Golubic
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USA vs Australia: times, TV and how to watch online