Laporte injured again as Guardiola laments defence
With only half an hour played in the Champions League Last 16 first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu, the Man City boss was having to rethink his plan.
Pep Guardiola has had problems this season with keeping his first choice back four fit, and with around 30 minutes played at the Santiago Bernabéu, Aymeric Laporte was back on the treatment table.
Laporte out for City
The classy centre half hobbled off and holding midfielder Fernandinho came on in his place. The Brazilian has been the go-to man for cover in this position with Laporte only managing to be fit for five matches this season.
And Guardiola will be particularly concerned about the defender not making it back in time for the second leg as prior to the injury Benjamin Mendy was booked. The Frenchman will be suspended for the game in Manchester.
After the influential Vincent Kompany left last summer, many have questioned the club's decision not to bring in further reinforcements.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total India cases and deaths, real-time map, 01 April
- MLS Coronavirus: Robbie Russell goes from winning MLS Cup to fighting Covid-19
- Liga MX Miguel Herrera “Everyone wants Renato Ibarra to stay in Club América”
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Everything you need to know about Covid-19 testing
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: total UK cases and deaths, real-time map, 31 March
- FOOTBALL Coronavirus: UEFA's plan for Europe, leagues and international football