Sergio Ramos' red card rules him out of Man City second leg
With the Champions League Last 16 first leg at the Santiago Bernabéu entering the final few minutes, Los Blancos' captain saw red for a foul on Gabriel Jesús.
It was, for many, the eye-catching tie of the round. Manchester City, under the leadership of Barça legend Pep Guardiola, had been drawn against Real Madrid in the Champions League Last 16. Emotions swung both ways across the first leg at the Bernabéu, and Los Blancos will be without their influential captain, Sergio Ramos, for the return.
Ramos suspended for City second leg
Despite the Premier League champions having the best of things, it was Isco that had given Zinedine Zidane's team the lead on the hour. That lasted almost 20 minutes before Gabriel Jesús headed home a De Bruyne cross, arguably giving Ramos a nudge before scoring.
Then, as a slightly deflated home side tried to get something more from the game, disaster struck. Dani Carvajal brought down a scampering Raheem Sterling in the area, and De Bruyne made no mistake from the spot. The scoreline wasn't to change before the final whistle but an important other fact was.
In the 86th minute, a careless pass from Casemiro was latched onto by Jesús and as the Brazilian striker sprinted towards goal, Ramos gave him a nudge on the edge of the box. A free-kick was awarded to the English side and the defender was given his marching orders. Zidane will now have to make plans without being able to call upon his Champions League mainstay.
As for City, they'll also be missing a player through suspension. Benjamin Mendy was booked in the first half meaning he'll miss his side's home leg. Another question mark lies over the availability of Laporte, who was taken off injured.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: why is Arizona receiving praise from the White House?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV...
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: Champions League preview
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane