Swiss league cancels all games due to coronavirus fears
The Swiss Super League and Challenge League fixtures scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled amid growing fears as Covid-19 cases spread.
The ruling comes from the Swiss Federal Council after announcing a temporary halt to events with more than 1,000 people expected to attend and this regulation is in place through to March 15, 2020.
BREAKING: After orders from the Federal Council: ALL domestic league games in Switzerland this weekend are postponed due to #coronavirus fears.— 𝗙𝗼𝗼𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗦𝘄𝗶𝘀𝘀 - Craig King (@FootballSwissEN) February 28, 2020
The media conference informed the public that all events with 1000 or more people are prohibited until March 15, 2020.
The spread of the coronavirus throughout Europe has already had repercussions on football, with several games in Italy being suspended last weekend after other sporting events the world over were postponed or cancelled as authorities struggle to contain daily spikes in reported cases of Covid-19. Valencia fans were placed in self-isolation by the regional government after reporting symptoms of the virus following the Champions League game between Los Che and Atalanta last week and Valencia CF are now considering the extraordinary measure of refusing entry to Mestalla to 2,377 away ticket holders for the return leg on March 10.
This morning (Friday 28th) the club cancelled all activities that would see their first team engage with people outside of their immediate circle as fear of the coronavirus spread.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim