Jimenez gives Wolves late win to aid chase for European spots
Wily striker Raul Jimenez struck a superb 73rd-minute winner as Wolverhampton Wanderers twice came back from a goal down to beat Tottenham Hotspur 3-2.
Wily striker Raul Jimenez struck a superb 73rd-minute winner as Wolverhampton Wanderers twice came back from a goal down to beat Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 and leap-frog them into sixth place in the Premier League table on Sunday.
Wolves winner hots up Euro fight
After losing 2-1 to Chelsea last week, Steven Bergwijn gave Jose Mourinho's Spurs the lead in the 13th minute by slamming home a rebound to spare the blushes of Dele Ali, whose weak shot with the goal at his mercy was parried by Rui Patricio.
The visitors struck back 14 minutes later through Irish international Matt Doherty, who took advantage of some poor defending to score after Spurs failed to clear Ruben Vinagre's cross.
Serge Aurier restored the lead just before halftime, collecting the ball just inside the box before curling a sublime left-foot shot inside the far post, but again Wolves came back as Diogo Jota scored from close range in the 57th minute.
With Spurs striker Ali spurning several decent chances, Jota then set up Jimenez for the winner, sliding the ball into his path in the 73rd minute for Jimenez to cut swiftly inside before curling a sweet left-foot strike into the net.
The win lifts Wolves into sixth spot with 42 points after 28 games, just behind Manchester United on goal difference, while Spurs slip to seventh, two points behind Wolves.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check, $1,400, coronavirus and latest US news live
- PSG Messi to PSG? Leandro Paredes hopes Barcelona star can be persuaded to join
- CORNELLÀ VS BARCELONA Cornellà vs Barcelona live online: Copa del Rey 2020/21
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: when could it arrive after Biden becomes President?
- BUNDESLIGA Rummenigge on Upamecano interest and Leroy Sané rumours
- US NEWS What's Joe Biden promised to do on his first 100 days in government?