UEFA admits to coronavirus concerns over Euro 2020
The tournament is scheduled to kick off in Rome on 12 June but UEFA said it will follow health advice over the 12-country Euros as Covid-19 spreads.
UEFA’s executive committee is due to meet in Amsterdam on Monday with the coronavirus and Euro 2020 at the top of the agenda after a raft of games in Italy were cancelled over the past week with the Covid-19 outbreak now affecting several European countries. Cases of the virus, which has now spread into Spain, the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Norway and Austria and has caused almost 3,000 deaths worldwide, have seen several major sporting events cancelled, including a Six Nations game between Ireland and Italy, with question marks currently hanging over the viability of the Tokyo Olympic Games if the coronavirus remains unchecked.
This year’s European Championship is due to take place in 12 different countries and there are 2.5 million tickets available for fans, causing the European governing body a serious logistical headache if the spread of Covid-19 continues at its current pace, or is declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. The inaugural match of the tournament is due to be staged in Rome on 12 June.
UEFA "monitoring the situation"
Uefa vice-president Michele Uva said on Friday that as things stands no UEFA tournaments will be postponed or cancelled, but added that the situation could change “if things get worse.”
UEFA has said it is working closely with national health agencies and governments and is “constantly monitoring the situation.”
Te recomendamos en English
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK When could there be a new stimulus payment according to the experts?
- BARCELONA Official: Depay signs for Barcelona until June 2023
- FOOTBALL Kevin De Bruyne not too concerned by eye injury
- NBA NBA playoffs 2021: Mann 'not surprised' after taking Clippers to first Conference Final
- MLB Ohtani goes into Home Run Derby mode with two homers
- Euro 2020 Giroud makes history by gaining 100th cap for France