Monaco's Gelson Martins handed six-month ban for pushing referee
Monaco will be without Gelson Martins for the rest of the season after the winger received a lengthy suspension from the LFP.
Gelson Martins has received a six-month ban for pushing a referee during a match with Monaco. The Portugal international was suspended as a precaution by the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) back on 6 February following an incident in a game away at Nimes five days earlier.
Martins pushed Mikael Lesage twice during his side's 3-1 Ligue 1 defeat, initially making contact with the official following team-mate Tiemoue Bakayoko's 32nd-minute red card. The winger, who joined Monaco permanently from Atlético Madrid in 2019, was sent off and reacted by shoving Lesage for a second time.
After examining footage and speaking to Martins, the LFP has punished the player with a lengthy ban that is backdated to the time he was initially suspended. The 24-year-old has already sat out five games but will now miss the remainder of the domestic season in France.
Monaco release statement on Gelson Martins ban
Monaco issued a short statement in response to the verdict, describing the punishment handed down as a "very heavy sanction".
"AS Monaco takes note of the decision of the disciplinary committee of the LFP to sanction Gelson Martins with a firm suspension of six months dating to February 6, a very heavy sanction," the club said. "The club once again condemns the unjustifiable behaviour of its attacker, but also regrets the excessive length of this suspension for a player who has never known a disciplinary ban in more than 200 games at the highest level."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times