Guardiola: Man City were never interested in United's Fernandes
The Manchester City manager denied he had held any interest in Portugaal international Fernandes, who has been a revelation for Manchester United.
Pep Guardiola insisted Bruno Fernandes was not a target for Manchester City before the Portuguese midfielder joined Premier League rivals Manchester United.
Fernandes swapped Sporting CP for United in a £47million deal during the January transfer window and he has transformed the Red Devils.
The 25-year-old Portugal international has already scored three goals across all competitions – two of those in the Premier League while supplying as many assists.
Amid Fernandes' stunning start to life in Manchester, City manager Guardiola said his team were never interested in the former Sporting captain.
Guardiola: "We are linked with a thousand million players every month"
"I said many times it looks like we are linked with a thousand million players every month," Guardiola told reports ahead of Sunday's Manchester derby at Old Trafford. "I don't know if the agents want to create something to do that.
"But I think the club was not in talks with his agent about this player, but they link this guy and a thousand million more."
Guardiola added: "I don't know what it means 'my type of player'. I like defenders too and good headers.
"I don't believe too much that these players are perfect for this team and manager. But I think he is an exceptional player and that is why Man United bought him."
City travel to Old Trafford in second position, 15 points clear of fifth-placed United – who are in the midst of a nine-match unbeaten streak in all competitions.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?