Casemiro: Betis defeat may cost Real Madrid league title
Real Madrid's loss to Real Betis could be the defeat that costs them LaLiga, according to Casemiro.
Brazilian midfielder Casemiro admitted Real Madrid's loss to Real Betis could have cost them the LaLiga title and handed it to Barcelona.
Madrid were stunned in a 2-1 defeat on Sunday, leaving them second to rivals Barcelona in the table with 11 matches remaining.
Casemiro said it could be the result that denies Madrid, who are two points adrift of Barca, the league title.
Casemiro: No excuses for Real Madrid defeat
"They were superior and played better, there is no excuse, football is simple," the midfielder said, via the club's website.
"In LaLiga every game is difficult. To win LaLiga we have to play well in every game and we didn't play well.
"We have to keep working hard, we have not been up to the task and we have not played like we did against Barcelona.
"We are human too, but it could cost us the league title. We have to look at Eibar now."
While Karim Benzema's penalty cancelled out Sidnei's opener in the first half, Cristian Tello scored an 82nd-minute winner for Betis.
Varane laments Real Madrid's lack of intensity
Madrid defender Raphael Varane urged his team to continue fighting late in the campaign.
"We lacked a lot of intensity, especially in the first half. We didn't play at the pace we wanted to and we let the opponents have the ball," he said.
"We're dropping important points, but we're confident we can fight until the end.
"We're trying very hard to get back to the top of the league and today was a drop in quality from everyone.
"We still have a lot of games left to play and we're confident we're going to get that intensity back."
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Golden State Stimulus: What is it, who approved it, and how does it differ from federal stimulus check?
- NBA Lakers vs Suns live online: scores, stats, highlights, updates...
- REAL MADRID 2-2 SEVILLA Zidane slams referee after controversial Sevilla penalty
- US News What states are ending pandemic-related unemployment benefits?
- LIGUE 1 PSG title chances dented by draw away to Rennes
- US News Do you need to work to claim the child tax credit?