Coronavirus: Next two rounds of LaLiga games to be played behind closed doors
The decision has been taken by LaLiga after consultation with local autonomous region health departments with the shutout set to commence with Friday's Real Madrid-Eibar game.
What seemed like a remote possibility some ten days ago has now become a reality. LaLiga have confirmed that the next two rounds of Primera and Segunda fixtures will be played behind closed doors with Friday's Real Madrid-Eibar at the Santiago Bernabéu and the second tier game between Racing-Lugo at El Sardinero the first games to be staged with no spectators in the stadiums.
There it is - LaLiga have taken advice from Spanish health authorities and next two weekends of Primera and Segunda are behind closed doors, starting with Madrid v Eibar at Bernabeu on Friday.— Dermot Corrigan (@dermotmcorrigan) March 10, 2020
The decision has been taken as a measure to stem the expansion of the Covid-19 virus in Spain and was agreed after a consultation process with the Department of Health and various regional health boards. Despite the ruling citing two rounds of games initially, the ban on spectators will be in place for as long as deemed necessary by the government.
LaLiga are hoping to be able to complete the final 11 outstanding fixtures and are working with UEFA should full rounds of fixtures be cancelled with radio show El Transistor (Cadena Copa) reporting just last night that LaLiga will request that UEFA delay the start of the 2020 European Championship.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA Wizards vs Celtics Play-In live online: scores, stats, highlights, updates...
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit 2021: is there a maximum number of children who can receive payments?
- Champions League Manchester City to pay fans' travel costs for Champions League final
- PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham snatch a point with late equaliser at Manchester United
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Barcelona's Champions League win boosts women's football in Spain
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: when can be the new payment according to the experts?