Coronavirus crisis: Euro 2020 could be postponed by a year
This summer's pan-continental European Championship could be delayed after the WHO declared the coronavirus a global pandemic.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has officially declared the coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic, a move which may force UEFA, European football's governing body, to reconsider its initial reluctance to postpone Euro 2020.
Euro 2020 postponement may well happen, say RFEF sources
With less than 100 days to go until the tournament is scheduled to begin, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin must now confront the prospect of a delay, given that the pan-European event will involve millions of football fans travelling throughout the continent.
And sources at the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) are not ruling out the possibility that UEFA - whose response to the coronavirus crisis has so far been to insist that Euro 2020 will go ahead as planned - could agree to put off the tournament until summer 2021.
Euro 2020 delay would allow disrupted club season to finish
With club matches across Europe currently being postponed because of the coronavirus, such a decision would allow this season to be extended until July and ensure that the disruption does not prevent competitions from finishing.
Due to get underway on 12 June, the European Championship is to be held in 12 different European cities: Amsterdam, Baku, Bilbao, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Glasgow, London, Munich, Rome and St Petersburg.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits with $600 boost: how many have applied?
- GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS George Floyd death in Minneapolis, live updates: police, riots and protests across US
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: would second Economic Impact Payment be the last?
- GEORGE FLOYD George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked in the same nightclub
- Caso George Floyd George Floyd protests and riots across America: Nashville, Portland...
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: will there be a second round of payments in June?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today