Champions League and Europa League suspended by UEFA
European football's governing body has made the decision to postpone matches in the continental tournaments until the spread of the coronavirus is under control.
UEFA have taken the decision to suspend the Champions League and the Europa League competitions until further notice. The decision over when to play the matches will be taken at the appropriate time.
In the light of developments due to the spread of COVID-19 in Europe and related decisions made by different governments, all UEFA club competitions matches scheduled next week are postponed. #UCL and #UEL quarter-final draws have also been postponed.— UEFA (@UEFA) March 13, 2020
Full statement: 👇
Coronavirus postpones UCL and UEL
As governments around the continent battle to contain the spread of the coronavirus, European football's governing body has made the move to reduce potential contamination between fans, players and everyone else involved in the matches.
Following Wednesday evening's Champions League Last 16 second legs, Atlético Madrid and PSG joined Atalanta and RB Leipzig as those teams qualified for the quarter finals. Still undecided are the games between Manchester City and Real Madrid, Juventus and Lyon, Barcelona and Napoli and Bayern Munich and Chelsea.
On Thursday, Real Madrid announced that due to one of their basketball players being confirmed as testing positive for COVID-19, the entire club was to be quarantined, as the footballers use the shared facilities. This was yet another factor in the growing list of issues impacting on the immediate viability of the game.
Also on Thursday, LaLiga confirmed that the top two divisions of Spanish football would be postponed for at least two weeks. This follows other steps in Spain to reduce the spread of the virus including closure of schools, colleges and universities.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: are current vaccines effective against the Californian strain?
- Coronavirus Can unemployed Americans who refuse a job apply for unemployment benefits?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how many votes are needed to pass the relief bill?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check calculator: how much could you receive?
- US POLITICS Will Mitch McConnell support Trump's possible candidacy in 2024?