UEFA delay decision on Champions League until Tuesday
UEFA have decided to wait until Tuesday when they will hold a large meeting via video-conference over the future of European football.
UEFA could be set to officially announce the postponement of the Champions League and Europa League in a statement after a meeting on Tuesday. UEFA released a statement on Thursday saying they would meet with all 55 members on Tuesday.
They are also seriously considering postponing the Euros until the summer of 2021, which would also mean the suspension of the Nations League and the Club World Cup. WHO have declared the current coronavirus a pandemic and various leagues and events around the world have been cancelled and postponed as a result.
The top five leagues in Europe (Spain, England, Italy, Germany and France) held a videoconference call with Giorgio Marchetti, UEFA's director of competitions, on Thursday in an effort to resolve the ongoing worries about the schedules and spread of the virus. Although Ceferin rejected the idea that there was only one solution, it seems only a matter of time before the president of UEFA accepts the current situation and moves it to the summer of 2021.
UEFA's Full statement:
In the light of the ongoing developments in the spread of COVID-19 across Europe and the changing analysis of the World Health Organisation, UEFA has today invited representatives of its 55 member associations, together with the boards of the European Club Association and the European Leagues and a representative of FIFPro, to attend meetings by videoconference on Tuesday 17 March to discuss European football’s response to the outbreak.
Discussions will include all domestic and European competitions, including UEFA EURO 2020.
Further communication will be made following those meetings.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Jadon Sancho came very close to joining in 2017
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to allow five substitutions for rest of 2019/20
- George Floyd Autopsy reveals George Floyd was infected with Covid-19
- George Floyd What is K-pop and why are fans swarming social media over George Floyd protests?