Eight sent off as Gremio-Inter descends into mass brawl
The Copa Libertadores Group 5 fixture ended up with just 16 of the starting 22 players on the pitch after a fight between Moisés and Pepe sparked tension.
The Porto Alegre Copa Libertadores group stage derby ended up in turmoil after a late incident between opposing players Moisés and Pepe sparked a brawl which took over ten minutes to suppress and saw Argentine match official, Fernando Rapallini administer eight red cards with six on-field players receiving their marching orders and a substitute per team also receiving an early bath. Both sides now face stiff sanctions from CONMEBOL.
The game played with constant tension was meandering towards a goalless draw, when in the 87th minute, Internacional player Moisés and Gremio's Pepe were involved in a scuffle which the referee immediately tried to control. When it appeared that a degree of normality was about to resume, words or a provocative gesture triggered a mass brawl with players, substitutes and back room staff from both teams getting involved.
The melee lasted for ten minutes with four player per side the outcome and the contest ended 0-0 after 106 minutes of football played in front of a full house at the Arena do Gremio. Both Brazilian sides top Group 5 on four points after two rounds of games. The competition will now undergo a temporary suspension as a result of the on-growing Covid-19 concerns affecting South America.
Gremio: Caio Henrique, Pepe, Luciano and Paulo Miranda.
Inter: Víctor Cuesta, Edenílson, Bruno Praxedes and Moisés.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona's squad redesign needs to start taking shape now
- International football Zlatan facing possible FIFA ban over links to Malta betting firm
- Manchester United Solskjaer suggests Old Trafford banners to blame for home form
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Pfizer, Moderna and J&J/Janssen: who can get each, side effects, doses
- US Policing Why were no charges brought against the police officer who shot Jacob Blake?
- VACCINE NEWS What is a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis? Blood clot symptons and causes