Coronavirus: Serie A could resume in May or June - AIC chief Tommasi
Italian Footballers' Association president Damiano Tommasi discussed the postponed Serie A season due to COVID-19.
Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) president Damiano Tommasi says the Serie A season could resume in May or June "if all goes well" amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Serie A and all domestic sport in Italy has been suspended until at least 3 April, while the country is in lockdown due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Outside of China, Italy has been the hardest hit by coronavirus, with at least 1,809 deaths and more than 24,700 cases.
"It's clearly impossible to start playing at the beginning of April"
As Italy struggles to cope amid growing calls for Euro 2020 to be postponed, AIC boss Tommasi told Che Tempo Che Fa: "It's clearly impossible to start playing at the beginning of April.
"If all goes well, we can resume in May or June. When we talk about football, people think we are only ensuring the safety of players, but there's a whole world behind the team.
"The first to be contaminated were in Serie C with Pianese, and their kit man is still in intensive care. Juventus have 100 people under quarantine.
"These are people who travel all around Italy and Europe, meeting many, many people during the course of their work. The problem is not just Italian, but European, so UEFA have to behave like the European Union."
We'll hug each other again. Everything is gonna be allright. pic.twitter.com/BShGDX1qjj— Lega Serie A (@SerieA_EN) March 14, 2020
Prior to the Serie A hiatus, defending champions Juventus topped the table by one point ahead of Lazio.
The last top-flight fixture was between Sassuolo and Brescia, with the former winning 3-0 on 9 March.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?