Koeman's Barcelona clause pushed back until post Euro 2021
Ronald Koeman addressed his contract after Euro 2020 was pushed back a year amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
Netherlands head coach Ronald Koeman said his FC Barcelona clause has been delayed until 2021 after the European Championship was postponed a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Former Barça defender Koeman was in line to take over from Ernesto Valverde, who was sacked and replaced by Quique Setien in January.
Koeman previously revealed his Netherlands contract contains a clause that allows him to depart for Camp Nou following Euro 2020.
With the Euros pushed back 12 months amid the COVID-19 outbreak, Dutchman Koeman addressed his contract.
"The clause in my contract to go to Barcelona is for after the European Championship," Koeman maintained. "No date has been mentioned, so now it's after the European Championship in 2021. But I haven't thought about it for a second anyway."
UEFA today announced the postponement of UEFA EURO 2020.— UEFA (@UEFA) March 17, 2020
A working group has been set up with the participation of leagues and club representatives to examine calendar solutions that would allow for the completion of the current season...
UEFA confirmed the postponement of Euro 2020 on Tuesday, with the competition due to be staged across June and July in 2021.
All other UEFA competitions and matches for clubs and national teams have been put on hold until further notice.
Netherlands were set to be without star Memphis Depay this year due to a knee injury but Koeman said: "It's a lucky break, but it's a shame that the European Championship won't be played now. We qualified at a good level, we were in good shape and we wanted to continue in this vein."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: what’s in the GOP bill to be voted on this week?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check What have Biden and Trump said about second stimulus check?
- Premier League Man Utd and Liverpool in European Premier League talks - report
- Inter Milan Conte: Inter better prepared to contend in Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ramos ruled out of Real Madrid's Champions League opener