Gladbach players to give away their salaries to help pay staff
Max Eberl has revealed Borussia Monchengladbach's players made have a generous offer to help the club deal with the coronavirus pandemic.
Borussia Monchengladbach players have offered to forego their salaries to help the club play its staff during the coronavirus crisis.
Gladbach paying back
The Bundesliga, like the majority of leagues across the globe, is suspended due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
A return date of April 2 appears optimistic at best and several teams face a conundrum to tackle cash-flow issues, with revenue streams from home matches, and potentially sponsorship, lost.
In a bid to ensure the club can continue to pay staff, Gladbach's players have come forward with a generous proposal.
"I didn't have to explain much [to the players]," Gladbach's sporting director Max Eberl said in an interview with the club's official website.
"The players know what's going on. It's their job, they have already informed themselves and thought about it.
"The team has offered to forego salary if it can help the club and its employees."
Asked if it was a proposal the club was planning to respond to, Eberl replied: "Yes. I am very proud of the boys.
"It is a clear signal: We stand together for Borussia, in good times and in bad. They want to give something back to Borussia and therefore also to all the fans who support us.
"The coaching staff joined in, just like our directors and managing directors."
There have been 13,632 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Germany, with 33 people having died.
Gladbach are fourth in the Bundesliga, six points adrift of leaders Bayern Munich.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment The Oscars 2021: when are nominations announced and when is the ceremony?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks $1,400 third stimulus check: do any Republicans support the bill?
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 $400 unemployment benefits: how long has the House extended them?
- PLAYSTATION How to download Ratchet & Clank for free on PS4 & PS5: dates, times & availability
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Why was there a proposal for a $10,000 stimulus check and could it pass?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 $400 new weekly unemployment benefits: when are they coming?