Coronavirus: Juventus' Higuaín intercepted by police but leaves Italy
Juventus Gonzalo Higuaín has jetted back to his native Argentina, despite being quarantined in Turin after two team-mates tested positive for Covid-19.
Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuaín flown back to Argentina, despite being quarantined in Turin after team-mates Daniele Rugani and Blaise Matuidi tested positive for the coronavirus in recent days.
Higuaín left self-isolation on Thursday and made his way to Torino Caselle Airport, where a private jet was waiting to take him back to his native country.
Higuaín able to show proof he has tested negative for Covid-19
Police allowed Higuaín to travel because he was able to show documents proving that he has tested negative for the virus. However, his plane could not travel directly to Argentina, as the South American nation has blocked all incoming flights from Italy, whose coronavirus death toll is now the highest in the world.
Khedira and Pjanic also leave Italy with Juve's permission
Instead, the former Real Madrid player flew first to France and then to Spain, before boarding a jet back to Argentina. In addition to Higuaín, Juve colleagues Sami Khedira and Miralem Pjanic have also left Italy, with both players likewise carrying certificates stating that they are not infected with the coronavirus.
AS understands that Juventus had been informed of theri players’ intentions and had authorised the trips for family reasons. In Higuaín’s case, the 32-year-old wanted to be at home with his mother, who is ill.
Cristiano Ronaldo also in home country
Higuaín, Khedira and Pjanic's Juve colleague, Cristiano Ronaldo, is also not in Turin: the forward is in self-isolation in his hometown of Funchal, on the Portuguese island of Madeira.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Butragueño: "Everyone knows what Zidane means to us"
- SCOTLAND Rafa Benítez linked to Celtic job, on his return to Europe
- OLYMPIC GAMES Rapinoe: "I'd be 'devastated if the Tokyo Olympics are cancelled"
- UFC Khabib tells Dana White: "I'm so many levels above these guys"
- UFC UFC 257: McGregor hits back at critical Khabib after Poirier loss
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check live updates today: Biden executive order, who will get and when to expect it