Messi: Pochettino eyes Newell's reunion with Barcelona star
Mauricio Pochettino revealed his desire to make a Newell's Old Boys comeback one day, alongside Argentina captain Lionel Messi.
Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino hopes to return to Newell's Old Boys one day, preferably with Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi.
Pochettino began his playing career at Newell's, where he emerged from the Argentine club's youth system in 1989 before moving to LaLiga outfit Espanyol in 1994.
The future of Pochettino continues to be speculated about after he was sacked by Tottenham in November – the former Parakeets and Southampton tactician has been linked to the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid.
Pochettino, though, revealed his desire to make a Newell's comeback, alongside countryman and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi – who also spent his youth playing for Newell's.
"I hope to return to the club one day," the 48-year-old Pochettino told Radio del Plata. "I can still wait, preferably it will be in 10 years. With [Lionel] Messi."
Pochettino: "Lautaro is one of the best in the world"
Another Argentinian, Lautaro Martínez, is also making headlines following his exploits for Serie A outfit Inter.
Martínez is reportedly attracting interest from LaLiga champions Barça, who are eyeing a long-term replacement for Luis Suarez.
"Lautaro Martínez is one of the best strikers in the world," Pochettino added.
"It's not just for what he does now, but for what his potential means going forward. If you start looking at hitmen for the big clubs, clearly his name has to be in there."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Bundesliga aims for May restart behind closed doors
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid agree to slash players' wage bill by €33-56m
- CORONAVIRUS Hydroxychloroquine: what is it and can it help fight Covid-19?
- Premier League Coronavirus: UEFA chief hands Liverpool Premier League title
- Premier League No Cristiano Ronaldo in the Ryan Giggs Man United XI
- Barcelona Bartomeu set to overhaul Barcelona board-room a year ahead of elections