Liverpool eyeing move for Atlético Madrid's Giménez
The European champions are keen on the Uruguay defender and are also considering Inter's Alessandro Bastoni and Leipzig's Dayot Upamecano.
Liverpool are casting their gaze across Europe in the search for a replacement for Dejan Lovren, who is out of contract at the end of the season, and have alighted on three potential candidates: Atlético Madrid's José María Giménez (25), Inter Milan's Alessandro Bastoni (20) and Dayot Upamecano of RB Leipzig (21).
As well as looking for youth, Jürgen Klopp wants a defender who is commanding in the air as well as comfrtable with the ball at his feet and Giménez fits the bill on both counts. The stumbling block for the Anfield board may be his Atlético contract, which runs until 2023 with a minimum release clause of €120m but the Uruguay international has lost his previously untouchable status at the Metropolitano this season, which could open the door for Liverpool.
Savic and Felipe Simeone's preferred partnership
Despite being a firm favourite of Diego Simeone and the heir to Diego Godín for club and country, Giménez has endured an injury ravaged season and has managed just 16 appearances, the most recent a brief cameo at Anfield as Atlético knocked the holders out of the Champions League.
That has allowed Stefan Savic and Felipe to establish themselves as Simeone's preferred central defensive partnership, a situation that may lead to Giménez considering his options this summer after seven seasons at the club.
Te recomendamos en English
- FA CUP FINAL 2021 Chelsea 0-1 Leicester City result, goals, summary, highlights | FA Cup Final 2021
- LaLiga Barcelona - Celta: times, TV & how to watch online
- Euro 2020 Zlatan Ibrahimovic ruled out of Euro 2020
- NBA NBA: Mavericks coach stresses importance of avoiding play-in
- US News Where to get 12-15 year old kids vaccinated in New York
- NBA Doc Rivers: top seed part of journey to ultimate goal for 76ers