Real Madrid's Hazard: "I'll be judged on my second season"
"My first season in Madrid has been bad, but it's not all bad. It's a season of adaptation," the Real Madrid forward said of his first campaign at the Bernabéu.
Eden Hazard has spoken for the first time since undergoing surgery in Dallas to repair an ankle injury that is expected to leave him on the sidelines for two to three months. The Real Madrid forward was not expected to return to action before the end of the Liga season in Spain, but given the postponement of the competition due to the spread of Covid-19 there is a chance the Belgian may taste action for his club after all.
Hazard, 29, like his Real Madrid teammates is in self-isolation in Madrid after returning from the US and had originally targeted a return to competitive action in time to represent Belgium at Euro 2020, which has now been definitively postponed due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
Speaking to Belgian media outlet Radio Télévision Belge de la Communauté française (RTBF), Hazard discussed the Euros, his first season at Real Madrid and the Covid-19 pandemic.
"I'm fine! I'm not going out, I'm looking after myself. I'm recovering [from surgery], they took out the stitches last week. Now I can start working a bit harder. I can walk again so everthing's going well!" The Belgian told RTBF.
Hazard: Euros postponement was inevitable
"I'd hoped to fit [for the Euros] so it's a bit disappointing that they've been postponed. I'd planned to play, the operation was a few weeks ago now. We'll all be a year older in 2021, which is a shame, but it'll allow me to be in form. I think it's probably hard for the fans because they want to watch an international tournament every summer, so it's hard for them. But I also think that there are priorities in life that mean it had to be cancelled. Footballers are like everyone else at the end of the day. It'll wait until next year."
Hazard discussed when he would potentially be back in action for Real Madrid and the effect of the coronavirus on LaLiga, as well as his first season at the Bernabéu, which has been affected by a series of injuries.
"My first season in Madrid has been bad, but it's not all bad. It's a season of adaptation. I'll be judged on my second season. It's a great group of players, I've met a lot of new people. It's been a great experience for me. I've still got four years left on my contract and I hope to be in form. I don't know when we'll play again. I spoke to Zidane yesterday and he doesn't know either. We just have to try and stay in shape. We don't know if the league will start up again or not, we hope so and that'll it'll be a good end to the season. If we can't [finish the season] that's just the way it is."
Hazard on Covid-19: "I'm a little worried, like everybody else"
"I'm not going to say I can't get it," Hazard said of the Covid-19 crisis in Madrid. "We're at home, we can't go out, we can't see anybody... I'm a little worried, like everybody else. But I'm worried about people who don't have anybody to look after them, who have more problems."
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill