Ángel di María rips up Real Madrid letter without opening
The Argentine star is now showing off his skills at PSG but he remembers the day that he received a letter from Los Blancos, and he didn't want to read it.
Ángel di María recalled the story of when he ripped up a letter sent to him by Real Madrid in 2014 without even opening it.
Di María no angel for Real Madrid
Speaking to Podemos Hablar (Let’s speak) on Telefe the Argentine explained that he already knew what was in the letter, a law suit from the Spanish giants threatening him over playing in the 2014 World Cup final against Germany. Los Blancos wanted to prevent the player from getting injured, as Di María had taken a knock in an earlier match against Belgium.
"I received a blow during the game against Belgium,” the player explained. “My foot was not right, but I wanted to play [in the final].
“I didn’t care if I did not play football again. In fact, it was one of the things that they told me could happen, but for me it was the final of the World Cup. It was my final.
"You are a little scared of everything".https://t.co/BeKUhHg5Ih— AS English (@English_AS) March 29, 2020
"I already knew that they wanted to sell me,” he continued, “because it had been said that James [Rodríguez] was heading to Madrid, and he was going to take my position. When I got the letter from Real Madrid I could envisage everything.
“Without opening it, I ripped it up. I didn’t want to read it, or even look at it. The person who had to make the decision whether or not to play was me.”
Ángel wanted best for Argentina
The current Paris Saint-Germain winger admitted to getting very emotional when speaking with the manager of the national team, Alejandro Sabella, ahead of the dream game.
"I was crying when I told him that I was not 100%. I knew he loved me and wanted me to play, but I asked him to choose the best players.
“My only thought was about what was best for the team. There was the possibility that the game would break me completely, but I wanted to try.
"During the training session before the game, he put Enzo Pérez in my place. The rest is history," the Argentine concluded.
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF | AUGUSTA MASTERS 2021 Augusta Masters 2021 Day 3 live online | scores and leaderboard | Matsuyama leads at -11
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: until when will the new "plus-up" payments be sent?
- REAL MADRID 2 - 1 BARCELONA Real Madrid ratings in Clásico against Barcelona
- EL CLÁSICO Real Madrid ahead of Barcelona in Clásicos won: 98-96
- LALIGA SANTANDER Real Madrid - Barcelona: what are their next matches and how many points are left?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker