Henderson setting up Premier League fund to help NHS
The Liverpool captain has been ringing professional footballers to set up a fund to donate money to the NHS during coronavirus pandemic.
Jordan Henderson, Liverpool's captain, is at the centre of a fund-raising drive that will see Premier League footballlers donate millions of euro to the NHS as reported by both The Times and The Guardian.
Premier League footballers have been criticised for not 'playing their part' by the UK's health minister, Matt Hancock, on Thursday. "Given the sacrifices many people are making, the first thing PL footballers can do is make a contribution," he said.
Premier League owners were also in the firing line as some suggested they should be taxed if they were not willing to reduce players' salaries. Four clubs have reduced staff salaries including Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Tottenham and the others are waiting for the outcome of talks between the Premier League, the PFA and EFL.
Premier League understood to have discussed 30 per cent wage deferral/cut for players at today's meeting. Likely that it becomes cut depending on when/if games can be played— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceTel) April 3, 2020
Players have been in total agreement with Henderson's plan according to the report and they are now working on the logistics of that aid. The Sunderland native wanted to establish the fund before it hit the headlines, which he couldn't do, but the aid has the potential to ease the pressure on an increasingly burdened health service.
The aid will be separate from any wages deferrals, reductions or salary cuts.
Te recomendamos en English
- USA NEWS Derek Chauvin and Tou Thao: who are the two cops in the George Floyd case?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: can I visit my family if they live in a different state?
- USA news Who is George Floyd and why was he arrested by Minneapolis police?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: can President Trump veto HEROES Act?