Coronavirus: Trump unsure when sport will resume, thinks it'll be "sooner rather than later"
With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill, United States president Donald Trump hopes it can resume soon.
United States president Donald Trump is unsure when sport can resume in the country, but hopes it is "sooner rather than later".
With the coronavirus pandemic having brought sport to a standstill around the world, Trump spoke with leaders of the USA's leagues and organisations via a call on Saturday.
The NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA Tour and NASCAR seasons were among those suspended, while the start of the MLB campaign was pushed back and there are concerns over the NFL.
Trump: "I want fans back in the arenas"
Trump hopes to see sport resume shortly, telling a media conference: "I want fans back in the arenas.
"Whenever we're ready, as soon as we can obviously and the fans want to be back too, they want to see basketball and baseball and football and hockey, they want to see their sports.
"They want to go out onto the golf courses and breathe nice, clean, beautiful fresh air."
Asked about a possible resumption, Trump said: "I can't tell you a date.
"But I think it's going to be sooner rather than later. We're not going to have to have separation for the rest of our times on the planet.
"We need it for this period of time, but eventually people are going to be able to occupy those seats in arenas next to each other, like we have for all of my life and all of your life."
Nearly 8,500 dead in US as a result of Covid-19
More than 64,000 people have died from coronavirus worldwide, with the death toll in the USA exceeding 8,400.
Te recomendamos en English
- US Elections 2020 Early voting locations near me in Florida: how to find where to vote
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- US Elections 2020 USA Election 2020: who is Lara Trump?
- Coronavirus Unemployment benefits in US: how to claim and check weekly payments
- US ELECTION 2020 The Blind Pig: this is the new Biden campaign ad aiming at NFL fans
- Coronavirus Pennsylvania unemployment biweekly benefits: eligibility and filing claim