Coronavirus: total India cases and deaths, real-time map, 7 April
Updates on the total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases, deaths and discharged patients, both in India and throughout the world.
Confirmed India coronavirus cases
As of 04:00 IST on Wednesday 8 April (00:30 CEST, Tuesday 7 April) there had been 5,311 confirmed coronavirus cases and 150 deaths in India. 421 people in the country have recovered after contracting Covid-19.
India struggling to ramp up testing
India is aiming to massively expand its testing capacity as it seeks to head off a major spread of the coronavirus. Officials hope to be testing 20,000 people every day by the end of the week, twice the current rate. India has only conducted just 100,000 tests since the country's first case was confirmed on 30 Jan, with efforts focused on those who have been in contact with confirmed cases. In a "worst-case scenario", the Indian Council of Medical Research said the country would move up to 100,000 tests daily.
Wockhardt hospital closed off
On Monday, India’s largest city, Mumbai, declared that the large Wockhardt hospital would be closed to new patients as it was to be used as a coronavirus containment zone.
AFP were told that three hundred members of staff had been quarantined after three doctors and 26 nurses tested positive for Covid-19.
Worldwide real-time coronavirus map
Click here if the map doesn't automatically appear. (Map created and hosted by Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering, our thanks to them.)
Worldwide coronavirus cases
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide at the above time stood at 1,414,738. In total, 81,200 people have died from Covid-19, while 298,389 have recovered from the disease.
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
You can follow the latest developments in the Covid-19 crisis with our daily live blog.
The complete lowdown on Covid-19
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Who is Abhigya Anand, the child astrologer that predicted the coronavirus pandemic?
- George Floyd Protests Facebook will review its rules after Donald Trump's controversial messages
- George Floyd What is the third amendment and can it be applied now?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: Why are some taxpayers still waiting for the payment?
- George Floyd Protests George Floyd: 'Black Lives Matter' on Washington DC street challenges Trump
- Coronavirus IRS tax deadline postponed: when is the new payment date?