Martino “We're lucky to have high salaries so we must be supportive”
The coach of Mexico’s soccer national team expressed his belief that everyone in football must be supportive of other people during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected the world of sports, seeing most events postponed beyond the summer to prevent the virus from spreading. A majority of teams in football have decided to reduce the wages of coaches and players in order to pay non-playing employees until the pandemic ends.
After seeing how well most players accepted this reduction to help others, the coach of Mexico’s national soccer team Gerardo Martino said this is a solution to a problem and applauded how supportive everyone has been during these unprecedented times.
“We have to be supportive of the people that need the money the most and also we have to find ways to help them in their daily lives. I think every single player and coach should agree to reduce their salary because it is a solution to a problem. Also each team needs to analyze the situation of each player differently because they are not making the money that Barcelona or Real Madrid players are making. We are lucky we get paid high amount of money and that is why we need to be supportive,” said MArtino during an interview with TUDN.
Martino is currently in his native Argentina and he hasn’t been called by Mexico’s Federation of Football to readjust his salary, but he will accept a reduction if necessary to help others.
“I haven’t been contacted by the bosses from the federation and I got paid what I usually do in the month of March. If they call me and tell me that for April and until further notice they will readjust my salary to pay others, I would gladly accept it. Like I said before my compromise is to help others,” he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"