Worldwide coronavirus cases pass 1.5 million mark
Daily monitoring service Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Centre has confirmed that the cumulative global total of positive Covid-19 cases stands at 1,502,618.
Daily monitoring service Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Centre has confirmed that the cumulative global total of positive Covid-19 cases stands at 1,502,618 at the time of writing.
The global pandemic maintains its ability to spread with the virus at a staggered stage in various parts of the world.
As a semblance of normal daily life begins to resume in many Chinese cities and a number of European nations such as Spain, Germany, Austria and Denmark seeing the 'curve' flatten, many other nations have yet to reach their peak with daily infection and mortality rates increasing in the likes of the USA, UK, Brazil and Russia.
NEW: Coronavirus cases in the world cross 1.5 million.— Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alerts (@coronaviruscare) April 8, 2020
United States positive cases
With 435,000 positive cases the United States represents almost a third of the total global infection level with the virus having upended life across the country, shutting down large portions of the economy. Some 94% of Americans are under stay-at-home orders to slow the spread of the respiratory virus, which has killed more than 14,800 individuals.
Italy and Spain are two of the European states to have suffered at the hands of the Covid-19 virus with both nations under total lockdown since early and mid March. Both countries have the highest fatality rate (more than 17,000 and 15,000 respectively) as a consequence of the virus but recent days have seen a drop-off in the number in new infections and death rates.
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
You can keep abreast of the latest developments in the coronavirus pandemic by following our daily live blog.
The complete lowdown on Covid-19
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits with $600 boost: how many have applied?
- GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS George Floyd death in Minneapolis, live updates: police, riots and protests across US
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: would second Economic Impact Payment be the last?
- GEORGE FLOYD George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked in the same nightclub
- Caso George Floyd George Floyd protests and riots across America: Nashville, Portland...
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: will there be a second round of payments in June?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today