Champions League format for August proposed
UEFA and ECA are making plans for a two-week conclusion to their showpiece tournament and the Europa League, allowing next season to begin in September.
Although the uncertainty of when the football will return remains, UEFA and the European Club Association (ECA) are still targeting the main leagues to be back in business across July. Meanwhile, the European competitions (Champions and Europa League) are planned to be played in August, as per Monday’s report by Cadena SER.
The Champions League of August
The continental calendar would fit perfectly into the summer month as the quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals of both competitions could all be played in two weeks. The idea, as previously discussed, would be that each round would be decided over just a single match at a neutral venue and behind closed doors. Not everyone agrees with this plan.
UEFA and ECA want the domestic leagues to be resumed as soon as possible, although accept that this would also be without fans present in the stadium and they would have to follow health recommendations of each country in order to protect the public, footballers and everyone associated with it. In Germany, the Bundesliga is already scheduled for a May return.
Spanish station SER points out that the 2020-21 season could still begin without too many problems by starting it in September. The players would still manage to enjoy 21 days of holiday and recuperation, added to the enforced break from high intensity play that they are currently afforded.
Te recomendamos en English
- WFS LIVE 'African clubs need to develop their brand before chasing profit'
- WFS LIVE 'The pandemic has prompted a wave of creativity across the sports industry'
- MARADONA Maradona's lawyer calls for investigation into medical services' "CRIMINAL IDIOCY"
- World Football Summit Eto’o: “Diego Maradona was an idol for a whole generation”
- PREMIER LEAGUE Which Premier League clubs can have fans back in stadiums?
- US News Black Friday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target