Champions League format for August proposed
UEFA and ECA are making plans for a two-week conclusion to their showpiece tournament and the Europa League, allowing next season to begin in September.
Although the uncertainty of when the football will return remains, UEFA and the European Club Association (ECA) are still targeting the main leagues to be back in business across July. Meanwhile, the European competitions (Champions and Europa League) are planned to be played in August, as per Monday’s report by Cadena SER.
The Champions League of August
The continental calendar would fit perfectly into the summer month as the quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals of both competitions could all be played in two weeks. The idea, as previously discussed, would be that each round would be decided over just a single match at a neutral venue and behind closed doors. Not everyone agrees with this plan.
UEFA and ECA want the domestic leagues to be resumed as soon as possible, although accept that this would also be without fans present in the stadium and they would have to follow health recommendations of each country in order to protect the public, footballers and everyone associated with it. In Germany, the Bundesliga is already scheduled for a May return.
Spanish station SER points out that the 2020-21 season could still begin without too many problems by starting it in September. The players would still manage to enjoy 21 days of holiday and recuperation, added to the enforced break from high intensity play that they are currently afforded.
Te recomendamos en English
- Ronaldo makes history to keep Pirlo believing in Juve's Scudetto chances
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: updates on relief bill Senate negotiation
- 2021 Tax Filing Tax Return 2021: how long does it take to get refund? Expected dates
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 When will the IRS send out the enhanced Child Tax Credit?
- 2021 Tax Filing How to claim a stimulus check from the IRS on a 2020 tax return
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | Will it arrive in March & IRS tax return | Live