Dayot Upamecano advised to stay at RB Leipzig by Matthaus
Dayot Upamecano is reportedly wanted by several of Europe's top clubs, but Lothar Matthaus has urged him to consider staying on at RB Leipzig.
Dayot Upamecano should think twice about swapping RB Leipzig for Bayern Munich or any of the other European clubs who are interested in his services, Lothar Matthaus has warned.
Top clubs jostle for Upamecano
Bundesliga giants Bayern have joined Real Madrid and a number of other big-name clubs in the race to sign the 21-year-old. France Under-21 international Upamecano has made 76 league appearances for Leipzig since joining from Salzburg in 2017, particularly catching the eye in his 21 outings this season. Interest in the central defender may be growing, but Bayern great Matthaus suggests leaving the Red Bull Arena later this year may not be the right choice.
"I can see him playing for all the big club when he gets more experience," Matthaus told Sky Sport Germany. "If he does leave, he needs to make sure his new coach or club gives him the confidence to play regularly - as he is doing at Leipzig. He's a young player, highly rated, fast, has a good positional game and uses his body well for a 21-year-old. But a year or two in Leipzig would not hurt him. Leipzig are a top team - one of the last eight remaining in the Champions League. I can still see one or two per cent where he can learn, but he's a huge player and that's why I'm not surprised that top clubs in Europe are after him. But you can't speculate much about change because you need to see how the [coronavirus] situation develops."
Upamecano is under contract with Leipzig until the end of the 2020-21 season.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona feel cheated by Neymar
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Negotiations taking place over moving Champions League final to the UK
- Coronavirus Why do vaccines make you feel ill?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket: where it fell, in what country and what happened to remains of the Long March 5B
- LATEST NEWS Times Square shooting: what happened and who was shot?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket Long March 5B: why was it out of control and falling?