UEFA to establish qualification criteria for cancelled leagues
As things stand, UEFA is still urging its nation members to complete domestic leagues but will produce plans for those that cannot finish.
UEFA is to establish a set of guidelines outlining qualification criteria for the Champions League and Europa League in the case that domestic leagues that cannot be completed.
The coronavirus continues to wreak havoc with the footballing schedule, with the 2019-20 season suspended indefinitely across the majority of Europe, which resulted in Euro 2020 being pushed back by a year.
Both the Champions League and Europa League finals were postponed in March after it became apparent hosting them on their original dates was not feasible.
As yet there is no concrete date set for the resumption of a suspended European league, while UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin conceded the campaign would likely be lost if seasons cannot resume by the end of June.
In a video conference with its 55 member nations on Tuesday, UEFA said any decisions taken will be announced after the executive committee convenes on Thursday.
⚽ A variety of calendar options were presented to UEFA's member associations today, covering both national team and club competition matches.— UEFA (@UEFA) April 21, 2020
Full statement: 👇
A statement read: "UEFA met its 55 member associations via video conference and presented an update of the options being looked into by the two working groups that were created mid-March.
"A variety of calendar options were presented covering both national team and club competition matches.
"The funding of national associations through UEFA's HatTrick programme was also discussed with UEFA reiterating its commitment to meeting the payments to member associations as planned.
"There was a strong recommendation given to finish domestic top divisions and cup competitions, but some special cases will be heard once guidelines concerning participation to European competitions - in case of a cancelled league - have been developed."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in November?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barret, cases, deaths, updates today
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Early voting in NYC: dates, how to vote and where to find locations near me
- GAMING NEWS Pokémon GO A Spooky Message Unmasked: all research tasks and rewards from Halloween event
- BRAZIL Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus
- Covid-19 Economic Crisis Unemployment benefits NY: why was New York denied an extra $300?