Neuer is Bayern's No.1 but don't discount Ulreich, says Flick
Manuel Neuer shows no sign of letting his standards slip at Bayern Munich, with coach Hansi Flick declaring he is "clearly our number one".
Bayern Munich coach Hansi Flick has stated that Manuel Neuer will remain as the team's first-choice goalkeeper next season. And in a stark warning that underlines the system of meritocracy at Bayern, Flick stressed the incoming Alexander Nübel will face a battle for a seat on the bench.
Neuer discussing new Bayern deal
Neuer and Bayern are in contract talks, with the experienced Germany international having just under 15 months remaining on his deal. The 34-year-old has dismissed talk he wants a new five-year contract and both sides appear to want a resolution to keep Neuer at the club. Coach Flick considers him a key part of the Bayern side, telling Kicker: "Manuel Neuer is clearly our number one, nothing will change in the coming season. Alexander Nübel knows that."
Nübel will join Bayern from Schalke at the end of the season after the 23-year-old established himself as one of Germany's best young shot-stoppers. It remains to be seen where his first-team opportunities come up at Bayern, given Neuer's presence. And Flick made it clear he is not discounting Sven Ulreich, the current understudy to Neuer who has a year left on his Bayern contract.
"Alexander Nübel will have the same trust and the same appreciation as all other goalkeepers and players in our team," Flick said. "We want to develop him further, but it is also clear that performance is what counts at Bayern. And Sven Ulreich is doing really well at the moment."
Te recomendamos en English
- Granada vs Real Madrid Granada vs Real Madrid: How and where to watch LaLiga - times, TV, online
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Florida sets one-day record with over 15,000 new cases
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester capitulate as Bournemouth stay alive in relegation scrap
- Le Havre 0-9 PSG Neymar and Mbappe to the fore as PSG thrash Le Havre 9-0
- England vs West Indies England lose to West Indies: Stokes has no regrets over batting first
- Coronavirus New Covid-19 rules on masks and bars in Louisiana