Dutch league season ends with no champions, relegation or promotion
The Eredivisie is the first major European league to have ended the season amid the coronavirus crisis. Ajax and Alkmaar finished top, level on points.
The 2019/20 Dutch league season is over as a result of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Eredivisie ends with no champions, no teams being relegated or promoted. A premature conclusion of the campaign was effectively confirmed on Tuesday when the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) announced its intention "not to continue" with any action. That came after Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte announced a government ban on public events, including professional sports, until 1 September.
Dutch league declared over with nine games to go
The season was officially brought to an end on Friday, with Ajax and AZ Alkmaar level on points at the top but unable to play their remaining nine games.
The Eredivisie is the first major European league to be abandoned due to the outbreak of Covid-19. RKC Waalwijk were rooted to the foot of the table but are guaranteed to retain their top-flight status, as are second-bottom ADO Den Haag and Fortuna Sittard.
Cambuur must wait another year for promotion
Cambuur were 11 points clear of third-placed Volendam at the top of the Eerste Divisie but miss out on promotion along with second-placed De Graafschap, who were just four points behind the leaders. The KNVB's professional football board decided there would be no promotion to the Eredivisie or relegation after there was no clear preference when the clubs were invited to vote on the options.
Defending champions Ajax will go directly into the Champions League play-offs next season as they were top on goal difference, while AZ Alkmaar will enter the second qualifying round.
Feyenoord will go straight into the group stage of the Europa League, with PSV and Willem II facing qualifying matches - all subject to UEFA confirmation.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS $600 Golden State Stimulus check: how to track your payment
- US NEWS $3,600 stimulus check per child: will there be IRS monthly payments in the summer?
- SUPERLEAGUE | BARCELONA Barcelona president Joan Laporta breaks silence: "The Super League is absolutely necessary"
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE Ancelotti on European Super League: "My reaction was they are joking, this is a joke!"
- Lingard contemplated break over mental health concerns