Coronavirus forces Montpellier's Junior Sambia into 'artificial coma'
The Montpellier central player's condition is reported to be stable after he was hospitalised last Tuesday with Covid-19 symptoms.
Montpellier midfielder Junior Sambia has become the first Ligue 1 player to contract the coronavirus. The player was hospitalized on Tuesday and medics were forced to place the player in a coma due to a serious downturn in his condition. French sports daily, L'Equipe report that Samba's condition is now stable and he remains in hospital.
The French Ligue 1 side issued the briefest of statements earlier in the week stating that 'one of their players had been hospitalised owing to a digestive problem' but made no reference to the individual in question.
The player's agent Fréderic Guerra confirmed to L'Equipe that Sambia is in a stable condition and that his life is not in danger. The French Players Union (UNFP) has already begun to question the LFP's move to return to training on May 11 with the Sambia case potentially impacting on the health framework of French football.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: when is the deadline to register for non-filers?
- US ELECTIONS US elections 2020: Can I vote by mail without an excuse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: Tottenham still "trying" to sign players
- REAL MADRID Zidane on Bale, Hazard, Odegaard, Betis, new signings...
- LIVERPOOL Klopp happy to support EFL clubs: “People in a better position should help others”