ARGENTINA | MARADONA
Italia '90 ref: "I could have sent Maradona off before the game"
The match official for the 1990 World Cup final Edgardo Codesal added: "Maradona is one of the least desirable people I've known in my life".
Former referee Edgardo Codesal who officiated the Italia 1990 World Cup final between Germany and Argentina spoke to Uruguayan network 'Tirando Paredes' to reminiscence on his experience on overseeing the World Cup final.
Regarding Diego Maradona's behaviour Codesal claimed: "I could have sent him off before the game started as he was swearing profusely during the national anthem. Later when I decided to send-off Monzón, Maradona approached me and claimed I was a thief and on the FIFA pay-roll."
The Montevideo born former official added: "I saw Maradona do some remarkable things on the pitch and also saw that his knee had ballooned from aggressive tackling. As a player he was the best but as a person he was an unpleasant person and one of the worst I've gotten to know in my life".
Te recomendamos en English
- Moving the goalposts! Mourinho reveals woodwork mishap
- CORONAVIRUS $300 unemployment benefits: which states are still paying it?
- US NEWS Breonna Taylor case: who are Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove?
- Black Lives Matter protests Breonna Taylor case: what is ‘wanton endangerment’ in the first degree?
- Billboard Music Awards Billboard Music Awards 2020: list of all nominations - Post Malone, the most nominated
- Liverpool Liverpool were 'easy on the eye' against Lincoln City - Klopp