Ligue 1: France football 2019-20 season "cannot return" - PM
The French Prime Minister has announced that no sporting events can take place before September, with the football leagues then not being able to be completed.
The French government has suspended sport in the country until the end of the month of August , which would see the Ligue 1 season end without any more play. The LFP will meet in May with the Federation to determine next season's promotions, relegation and European positions.
Ligue 1 could be left uncompleted
Although the LFP confirmed that clubs’ training in France will resume on 11 May, the government does not share the decision of the highest body in French football. Prime Minister Édouard Philippe has not authorised the LFP's decision, and made the following announcement on Tuesday:
"The big sporting affairs cannot take place before September. The 2019-20 football season cannot return."
The plan had been to finish the competitions on 2 August at the latest, but with no guarantees that health conditions can be met during the months of June and July, this was always a huge doubt.
Italian financial paper, Calcio e Finanza, reported in March how much leagues would lose from a cancelled season:— Maxi (@MaaxiAngelo) April 28, 2020
-Premier League = €860m
-La Liga = €500-600m
-Serie A = €350-450m
-Bundesliga = €300-400m
-Ligue 1 = €100-200m
Remember these figures before making conclusions.
The consequences are expected to be devastating, both footballing and financially. Ligue 1 clubs could suffer an unprecedented financial hit, which extends to TV rights.
Other leagues watch on with interest, while some observers suggest that it makes more sense to complete this season no matter when football returns. They argue that, with the next campaign at risk of interruption too, it is better to continue when possible.
PSG vow to complete Champions League
Paris Saint-Germain will pursue their Champions League campaign despite France suspending all football until September due to the coronavirus pandemic says President Nasser Al-Khelaifi. They plan to play games outside France.
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"