Covid-19: Anti-coronavirus nasal spray, Neumifil, in works in UK
The UK-based company Pneumagen says it is developing a drug that could be effective in blocking the coronavirus' pathway into the lungs.
Scientists at the St Andrews University-linked company Pneumagen say an antiviral drug they are developing could be an effective remedy against Covid-19.
Drug masks airway receptors to block coronavirus' entry into lungs
Originally created for use in treating respiratory-tract infections such as flu, the drug - called Neumifil - works by masking glycan receptors in a person's airways and blocking the coronavirus’ path into the lungs.
Glycan receptors are located on the surface of lung cells. When someone contracts a viral infection, a key initial step in this process comes when the virus latches onto cell-surface receptors.
Neumifil: nasal spray used "weekly or every other day"
“Classic antivirals actually attack some part of the virus’ machinery, whereas our drug actually inhibits the virus from even getting into cells,” said Gary Taylor, the lead researcher and a professor of biology at St Andrews University, in an interview with the Daily Mail.
“We envision it being given as a nasal spray, and imagine it being given weekly or every other day.”
Pneumagen CEO: "Our goal is now to rapidly begin clinical testing"
“Today’s positive results from in vitro studies […] against coronaviruses show that glycan binding has the potential to prevent and treat infection,” said Douglas Thomson, the CEO of Pneumagen.
He added: “Our goal is now to rapidly begin clinical testing for the prevention and treatment of Covid-19.”
Clinical trials could last for several months before the drug is approved by healthcare authorities, but this is without doubt a positive development in the battle against the coronavirus.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?