Everton "agree shirt deal" with Mike Tyson's cannabis company
According to the CEO of Swissx, the Toffees are close to signing a deal that would make them the first Premier League side to be sponsored by a cannabis firm.
Premier League side Everton are considering a sponsorship link-up with the cannabis company owned by former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, it has been announced. Alki David, the CEO of Tyson's Swissx firm, has confirmed Everton are in talks about a deal in an interview with Insider.com. If it comes to pass, it will be the first time a Premier League side has agreed a sponsorship tie-in with a company that produces cannabis.
FC Barcelona denied last week that the LaLiga club was in similar talks about a deal with Swissx. "I am not ruling out Barcelona, but we have an agreement right now with Everton to sponsor their shirts," David said. The deal is reportedly to sport the company name on the front of the famous blue shirt.
SportPesa, Everton's current shirt sponsors, announced they would be ending their association with the Merseyside club last February. Everton said at the time it was a "difficult decision to make" but the club had to consider what was best for their commercial plan and to take advantage of new opportunities."
Everton have "offered designs" for Swissx sponsorship
"[Everton] have been in contact with me and they have offered up some designs with the logo of Swissx in blue, which I don't particularly like, but it will look good," David said. "When I was in England for the first time everybody supported Manchester United and Liverpool and everyone was wearing red shirts. I liked blue and I liked the club badge, so I chose to support Everton. There's something mystical about it."
Switzerland-based Swissx produces CBD (cannabidiol) products, which is the active ingredient in many medicinal cannabis treatments.
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"