Jovic breaks heel
The Real Madrid striker has broken his calcaneus, the heel bone, in his right foot.
Real Madrid striker Luka Jovic's nightmare season continues: he's broken his heel bone, according to the club. The fracture was diagnosed after tests carried out today by the Real Madrid medical team.
Real Madrid statement on Jovic
According to a club statement the player has suffered "an extra-articular fracture [a fracture outside the joint] in the calcaneus bone [heel bone] of his right foot". Real Madrid have not indicated how the player managed to break his heel.
Jovic suffered broken heel at home in Madrid
According to sources consulted by this newspaper, Jovic suffered the injury in Madrid, while exercising at home. The 22-year-old is expected to be out for two months.
Jovic himself is aware of the seriousness of his situation, but is determined to be back playing by the middle of July.
LaLiga is hoping to restart the competition on 19 June, finishing by 26 July. Jovic could then be fit for the final games, but Zidane prefers to bring players who are returning from injury back bit by bit. Jovic's main target then has to be the Champions League, which is in theory going to be played in August.
Heel bone: long, difficult recovery process
Medical experts consulted explained that the recovery process from a fractured heel bone is extremely difficult, given the bone takes the entire weight of the body. They were of the opinion that, although Jovic was fortunate for the break to be outside the joint, he could still be looking at months of rehabilitation. In the majority of cases such breaks are caused by direct impact, not due to twisting or spraining.
Te recomendamos en English
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Luis Suárez: "I was keen to find out what it means to play for Atleti"
- UEFA SUPER CUP UEFA pleased as fan-attended Super Cup runs 'smoothly'
- LALIGA Barcelona still have a squad capable of challenging – Zidane
- BARCELONA Messi's Last Dance: The records the Barcelona star can break – and what could hold him back
- Transfer market Depay in pole position for Barcelona move, Man Utd want Sancho and Telles
- BOXING McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao