Mbappé calls for Ben Yedder to share Ligue 1 golden boot
The PSG forward wants Wissam Ben Yedder to be awarded the golden boot for the 2019-20 season after both players scored 18 goals across the campaign.
Kylian Mbappé and Wissam Ben Yedder both scored 18 goals in the 2019-20 Ligue 1 season, which was cut short due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, an LFP committee decided to award the golden boot solely to the Paris Saint-Germain forward on the basis that all of his 18 strikes had come from open play and Ben Yedder had netted three times from the spot for Monaco.
Mbappé: "Wissam also deserves a trophy"
🏆🥇— Kylian Mbappé (@KMbappe) May 8, 2020
Merci à tous pour vos messages.
Je pense par contre que Wissam aussi mérite un trophée, comme ça s’est fait en Premier League la saison dernière pour récompenser son année 🤷🏽♂️...
🤝 @WissBenYedder #UnTrophéePourWissam https://t.co/M3TA5Gd4SJ
That has not sat well with Mbappé though: the France forward has started his own petition to have Ben Yedder similarly recognised as the top scorer in Ligue 1 for the season. "Thank you everyone for your messages," Mbappé wrote on social media. "I think that Wissam also deserves a trophy, like they did in the Premier League last season, as a reward for his year."
Mbappé noted that in the English top flight in 2018-19, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Sadio Mané and Mo Salah shared the golden boot having all bagged 22 goals each over the course of the campaign.
Mbappé also won the golden boot in Ligue 1 last season, scoring 29 times in 33 appearances.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Eriksen discharged from hospital following heart surgery
- REAL MADRID Ramos' former agent: "You don't mess around with Real Madrid..."
- OLYMPIC GAMES When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?
- US NEWS What states do not recognize Juneteenth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Recent research indicates how the stimulus aid was spent and how it helped families
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS California unemployment benefits: is job hunting proof required to apply for aid?