Out-of-contract Thiago Silva could stay on at PSG, claims wife
Paris has been home for Brazilian defender Thiago Silva since 2012 - and the 35-year-old may not be about to say goodbye, even though his contract expires next month.
Thiago Silva would like nothing more than the chance to continue with Paris Saint-Germain - even though his contract is almost up, the defender's wife has said.
The Brazil international is out of contract at the end of next month and might have already played his last game for the club, with the top-flight campaign cancelled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
#HealthyAtHome . Acompanho diariamente as dicas saudáveis do @DrTedros e da @who . Compartilho com vcs um pouco do meu treino diário durante a #40tena . #ThiagoSilva #TreinandoEmCasa #TreinoFuncional pic.twitter.com/RjjU65Qt4V— Thiago Silva (@tsilva3) April 16, 2020
Thiago Silva settled in Paris
Silva moved to the French capital in 2012 and has won seven league titles with PSG, although he has been unable to help the big-spending club progress beyond the quarter-finals of the Champions League. The 35-year-old's future remains unclear - there have been links with a return to former club AC Milan in Italy - but Isabelle Silva has revealed her husband may yet extend his stay in Paris.
"Thiago is very attached to PSG, the supporters and France," she told Le Parisien. "Whether the adventure continues or not at PSG, we will have to go back to Paris to see our friends again. But for us, it would be great to continue at PSG, we love the club, the city, France. This is where the children grew up, we would like to continue our careers in Paris."
Plans spoiled by coronavirus pandemic
Any possible discussions over a new deal have been placed on hold, however, with the Silva family currently in Brazil amid the global health pandemic. "For the moment, we don't know anything about it," Isabelle Silva said of negotiations. "Everything stopped because of Covid-19. We don't even know when we're going to return to Paris. We are in the shadows, like everyone else."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Ajax reach initial agreement for Sergiño Dest: 20 million plus 5 in add-ons
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits in California: for how long will they stop and when can I claim again?
- US NEWS | CORONAVIRUS Second Stimulus Check: will there be a new payment in September 2020?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea closing in on Mendy as Lampard confirms medical
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what did Mnuchin say in Congress testimony?