Bundesliga: return date, kick-off times, TV schedule, how and where to watch
With global sports fans desperate for live football on TV, the Bundesliga is the first major European league to restart after the coronavirus lockdown.
The world of football shuddered to a halt in March as the spread of the Covid-19 virus saw leagues across the planet swiftly cancel activity as a measure to stem the virus from extending. Two months later and with a number of countries now in a position to ease lockdown, the Bundesliga is the first of the world's major leagues to confirm a return to action as the 2019/20 season will restart this weekend.
When does the Bundesliga start again?
The German Bundesliga I and II both recommence on Saturday 16 May as Erzbegirge Aue face SV Sandhausen in the second tier at 13:00 CEST with the game set to be the first football in Germany since the halt in March. All games in both divisions will be staged behind closed doors as a health measure and all teams and backroom staff have undergone rigorous medical tests leading up to the restart. The notorious 'RevierDerby' is the top flight opener as Borussia Dortmund face local rivals Schalke 04 with table topping Bayern Munich in action on Sunday.
The Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 season will resume from May 16th. In both leagues, the season will continue with the 26th matchday. The other matchdays will follow in the order originally scheduled.— Bundesliga English (@Bundesliga_EN) May 7, 2020
ℹ️ https://t.co/7HVf6EwmkN pic.twitter.com/8NffqkFsaN
Live football on TV: How to watch the return of the Bundesliga?
The German top flight can be seen across the world with rights holders offering content across digital and television platforms:
UK: BT Sports
Nigeria: Star Times App
US: Fox Sports
Spain: Movistar Plus and Vamos
Consult each outlet in question for full details of games being shown live.
What games will be played on the matchday 26 restart?
Six top flight Bundesliga games will be staged on Saturday with the Borussia Dortmund - Schalke 04 derby and the RB Leipzig - Freiburg matches potential highlights. Saturday's activity closes with Eintracht Frankfurt facing Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Bayern Munich travel to the capital to face newly promoted Union Berlin on Sunday with the game starting at 18:00 (CEST). The Monday night clash between Werder Bremen and Bayer Leverkusen brings the curtain down on the restart.
In a fortnight Borussia Dortmund welcome table toppers Bayern Munich to the Signal Iduna Park in a match that could be instrumental in deciding the outcome of the title with Hansi Flick's men currently four points clear at the summit.
Match-day 26 games:
Saturday 16 May:
- RB Leipzig - SC Freiburg (15:30h)
- Fortuna Düsseldorf - Paderborn (15:30h)
- Hoffenheim - Hertha Berlín (15:30h)
- Borussia Dortmund - Schalke 04 (15:30h)
- Augsburg - Wolfsburg (15:30h)
- Eintracht Frankfurt - Borussia Mönchengladbach (18:30h)
Sunday 17 May:
- Koln - Mainz 05 (15:30h)
- Unión Berlín - Bayern Múnich (18:00h)
Monday 18 May:
- Werder Bremen - Bayer Leverkusen (20:30h)
* all times in CEST
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How do NFL players get paid? per game or per week?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 stimulus check in California: who qualifies and how to track
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax deadline, stimulus calculator | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: Will you get a $1,400 payment, and when?
- Entertainment CoD Black Ops & Warzone Season 2 new content: map, weapon, outbreak
- LOTTERY How much do you get if you have 1, 2 or 3 Powerball numbers?