Coronavirus: Premier League clubs agree to allow extensions for out-of-contract players
The Premier League said on Thursday that clubs and players can agree to contract extensions until the end of the season.
Premier League clubs have agreed to allow short-term contract extensions until the end of the season for players whose deals are set to finish on 30 June, 2020.
The suspension of football in England due to the coronavirus pandemic has seen the 2019-20 season on hold since March.
2019/20 season no longer aligned with June contract expiry
Authorities in the country have always stressed a desire to finish the professional leagues on the pitch, but with play unable to resume before 1 June, issues were set to arise with respect to expiring contracts.
The English football season usually finishes at the end of June and player contracts are aligned to this, therefore some clubs were set to be in a position whereby they would lose players through no fault of their own before the schedule was concluded.
However, following a shareholders' meeting on Monday, all Premier League clubs have agreed to allow mutual short-term extensions until the end of the season.
Clubs, players have until 23 June to agree extensions
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: "What we decided is to ensure as far as possible that clubs complete the season with the same squad they had available prior to the suspension of the campaign.
"Players can extend their contracts beyond 30 June until the end of the season, but it must be agreed by both parties."
Clubs and players have been given until 23 June to reach agreements.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Kroos says whoever adapts quickest will win LaLiga
- MLS MLS and Players have reached a new agreement to green light the 2020 season
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: what does ‘Need More Information' on IRS Get My Payment tool mean?
- Barcelona Barcelona: Messi could miss the return of LaLiga due to injury