Manchester United were wrong to sack Van Gaal, admits Rooney
Louis van Gaal lasted just two seasons at Manchester United but the situation hasn't improved since he was dismissed - a move Wayne Rooney feels was a mistake.
Wayne Rooney has admitted that Manchester United made the wrong call in sacking Louis van Gaal in 2016, bringing the Dutch coach's two-year spell at the helm to an end. Van Gaal was dismissed in favour of José Mourinho just two days after the team had lifted the FA Cup, with United having finished outside of the top four in the Premier League.
Under Mourinho, United didn't fare much better, finishing sixth in the 2016-17 Premier League table but won both the EFL Carabao Cup and Europa League. Yet Rooney, who was United's captain at the time, insists the club should have given Van Gaal another year to prove he could be a success.
Rooney: "It was a joy working with Van Gaal"
"I was devastated when Louis was sacked," Rooney said in the book LVG - The Manager and the Total Person. “For me, it was an absolute joy to work with him. We should have kept him for a third season. We would have been so much stronger. I felt things were improving and players started to understand his vision. In those two years I learned more than under any other manager. This is why I will be forever grateful to him. Not just for making me captain, but also for all the trust and belief he had in me. We didn't have the best team in the league anyway, but we could not afford to have 12 players injured. Our best XI was good enough to play in the top four, but once we got injuries we got in trouble because we did not have the same quality in the squad as in the years before. At the time it was good for me because I had decided that I wanted to become a manager. And working with Louis in that way was priceless in my opinion because I could learn so much from him. I could not have wished for a better example."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim