Serie A season in doubt as sides delay return to group training
Serie A's clubs have failed to reach an agreement with the health authorities over quarantine procedures, placing more doubt on the completion of the campaign.
Serie A clubs have decided to delay their return to group training after failing to reach an agreement with the Italian government's coronavirus technical committee on the conditions they have demanded as a precursor to restarting the domestic league competition. While Juventus, Lazio and Inter have all expressed their determination to finish the campaign, there is a growing clamour from several clubs at the bottom of the division to draw a line under the 2019-20 season.
Training in groups was scheduled to recommence on Monday but the stand-off with the technical committee has led to a postponement. Serie A sides are not happy about a government decree that the whole squad of a club will have to be placed in quarantine if a single player tests positive for Covid-19.
Serie A start date far from assured
🇮🇹 Confirmed: Italian PM officially gives permission for Serie A teams to resume squad training from May 18.— Adriano Del Monte (@adriandelmonte) May 16, 2020
One step closer to that June 13 return. pic.twitter.com/RwrKsdpF9E
Whether the season will resume remains up in the air: the Italian Football Federation had set 13 June as the date to restart but Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte warned that the "conditions to make [the date] official are not yet in place."
Some clubs are also not in agreement over the proposed date. Pierpaolo Marino, Udinese's technical director, expressed his reservations to national broadcaster Rai: "Playing on 13 June is a crazy idea. There was a massacre [in terms of injuries] in the Bundesliga and they started training seven weeks before they started playing."
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Kroos says whoever adapts quickest will win LaLiga
- MLS MLS and Players have reached a new agreement to green light the 2020 season
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: what does ‘Need More Information' on IRS Get My Payment tool mean?
- Barcelona Barcelona: Messi could miss the return of LaLiga due to injury