Coronavirus: Spanish PM gives green light for LaLiga return on 8 June
Pedro Sánchez announced on Saturday that Spanish football will return next month with the country expected to be in the advanced stages of Covid-19 de-escalation.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has announced that LaLiga will be cleared to return to action as of 8 June, when it is anticipated the country will be in phase three of the national coronavirus de-escalation plan and inter-province travel will be permitted once more. Real Madrid, Barcelona and the rest of the top-flight clubs can expect to play the first of their remaining matches on the weekend of 12-14 June, with the football authorities planning to kick off the postponed 2019-20 season run-in with Rayo Vallecano versus Albacete - which was suspended last December - on 9 June.
Sánchez explained during a press conference on Saturday that Spain will be in phase three by that date and the country will be operating to some degree of normalcy after the worst of the coronavirus pandemic has passed, paving the way for sporting events to be staged. While fans will not be permitted to attend games the LFP and the AFE players' union are keen to end the season before August, when the Champions League is slated to be completed.
LFP and AFE to discuss Liga return
Spanish sides are expected to return to group training next week and it remains to be seen what conditions the LFP and AFE place on a return to competition. What is certain is that the Health Ministry will have the final say on whether or not LaLiga kicks off in the week of 8 June or not, based on the continued decrease in Covid-19 cases across the country.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July