Leipzig's Timo Werner bags hat tricks home and away against Mainz in the same season
Leipzig striker Timo Werner managed a feat last achieved in the Bundesliga 21 years ago - scoring a hat trick against the same team, home and way, in the same season.
Timo Werner became the first Bundesliga player for 21 years to score two hat-tricks against the same opponent, in home and away fixtures during the same season with his treble against Mainz on Sunday.
The RB Leipzig striker, who has been heavily linked with a move to Liverpool, scored three of the team's goals in the 8-0 thrashing over Mainz in November and repeated the feat as they romped to a 5-0 win at Opel Arena today.
3 - @TimoWerner is the first player since 1998-99 (Ulf Kirsten vs Mönchengladbach) to score two hat-tricks against the same opponent in the same #Bundesliga season. Unstoppable. @RBLeipzig_EN #M05RBL pic.twitter.com/tAyjboJLe8— OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) May 24, 2020
Werner matches Kirsten's hat trick heroics
The last player to register hat-tricks in two games against one opponent in the same Bundesliga season was Bayer Leverkusen's Ulf Kirsten against Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1998-99.
Germany international Werner's goal tally for the 2019-20 Bundesliga campaign now stands at 24 – the best single-season return of his career so far.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: when is the deadline to register for non-filers?
- US ELECTIONS US elections 2020: Can I vote by mail without an excuse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: Tottenham still "trying" to sign players
- REAL MADRID Zidane on Bale, Hazard, Odegaard, Betis, new signings...
- LIVERPOOL Klopp happy to support EFL clubs: “People in a better position should help others”