Leipzig's Timo Werner bags hat tricks home and away against Mainz in the same season
Leipzig striker Timo Werner managed a feat last achieved in the Bundesliga 21 years ago - scoring a hat trick against the same team, home and way, in the same season.
Timo Werner became the first Bundesliga player for 21 years to score two hat-tricks against the same opponent, in home and away fixtures during the same season with his treble against Mainz on Sunday.
The RB Leipzig striker, who has been heavily linked with a move to Liverpool, scored three of the team's goals in the 8-0 thrashing over Mainz in November and repeated the feat as they romped to a 5-0 win at Opel Arena today.
3 - @TimoWerner is the first player since 1998-99 (Ulf Kirsten vs Mönchengladbach) to score two hat-tricks against the same opponent in the same #Bundesliga season. Unstoppable. @RBLeipzig_EN #M05RBL pic.twitter.com/tAyjboJLe8— OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) May 24, 2020
Werner matches Kirsten's hat trick heroics
The last player to register hat-tricks in two games against one opponent in the same Bundesliga season was Bayer Leverkusen's Ulf Kirsten against Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1998-99.
Germany international Werner's goal tally for the 2019-20 Bundesliga campaign now stands at 24 – the best single-season return of his career so far.
Te recomendamos en English
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: is it mandatory to vote and can I be fined?
- US Election 2020 What's Trump's plan to improve the economy, provide stimulus and lower unemployment?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: what does a ballot look like?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: could it be higher than $1,200?
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online updates: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live online updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and latest news